17.802 Quantitative Methods II
Recitation 1: Potential Outcomes Model (PDF)
Recitation 3: Regression Recap and Experiment (PDF)
Recitation 5: Inference and Power Calculations (PDF)
Recitation 6: Selection on Observables and Match-Makers (PDF)
Lecture: Synthetic Control Methods (PDF)
Recitation 8: Instrumental Variables (PDF)
(I thank Josh Angrist for allowing me to use his course material in recitations.)
Evaluations: 6.6/7.0 (Excerpts of Anonymous Comments)
- Yiqing often helped us better understand the materials even outside of his office hours.
- Yiqing knows the subject thoroughly and put a lot of effort into teaching the course. Recitations were well-planned, and one class he gave a whole lecture which everyone agreed was very clear, dynamic, and very informative. I thought if he could teach one class so well, he would do a great job with an entire course. Yiqing was my TA for two semesters in a row and while the class was extremely challenging and sometimes I felt over my head, he was always patient about explaining concepts until you understood, which was greatly appreciated.
- Yiqing was definitely the best teacher in the course. His guest lecture was the best class we had all semester. It was very clear, and he spoke slowly and gave us enough time to think through what he was explaining. More importantly, it was quite evident that he genuinely cared about whether we understood the big picture of the material and whether we were learning in the class. He did a great job in recitation of situating methods within a broader framework of understanding and helped focus on the main learning objectives from the topics covered in lecture. ...
- Excellent job, overall. Yiqing was extremely helpful with problem sets and student's projects, and clearly devoted a great deal of time and effort to his teaching. There was clear improvement from the previous semester in Quant I.
- Yiqing is a wonderful TA. The recitations were thoughtful; because we only had 50 minutes or so each week, Yiqing had to select the material carefully and I think he managed to zoom in on the most important topics. The lecture he gave on synthetic control was very clear and well presented. I also appreciate the sprinkling of humour during the recitations!
- Yiqing is a wonderful teaching assistant. He is responsive, generous with his time, well-prepared, and truly cares about helping students learn. After being taught by him for two semesters, it is clear that he is always working to improve his teaching and understand more about the needs of his students. His lectures are clear and illuminating and his enthusiasm and sense of humour are definitely an asset. Thanks Yiqing for all your help this semester!
- Yiqing did a great job teaching this semester. He explained concepts clearly in section and was always willing to help, even outside of office hours. I was especially impressed with the extent to which Yiqing incorporated feedback from Quant 1 last semester. He has improved so much in the clarity of his explanations and recognizing our existing level of knowledge.
- After having Yiqing in Quant 1, I saw a marked improvement in his ability to communicate with us as students. He made a real effort to slow down his teaching and make his lectures interesting. Overall, great! Thanks.
17.800 Quantitative Methods I
R Basics in One Page (PDF)
Handout: Mid-term Review (PDF)
Evaluations: 5.8/7.0 (Excerpts of Anonymous Comments)
- Yiqing was extremely helpful, responsive, and encouraging. His recitation sessions were always well-organized and clearly thought out. He is clearly an expert in the field and showed a lot of dedication to sharing his knowledge with us.
- Yiquing clearly knows the subject matter well and he showed remarkable improvement in his teaching.
- Yiqing is an extraordinarily smart TA. He clearly grasps the material and could even teach the class on his own (which I am sure he will at some point). Even though Yiqing had never before taught in English, his command of how to communicate key concepts improved greatly over the course of the semester. He also has a strong positive attitude in his teaching. I look forward to working with Yiqing more over the course of the next semester and Quant II.
- Yiqing is extremely kind and patient. At times, it was difficult to understand him. But he improved throughout the semester. His grasp of the material is so masterful that at times it seemed hard for him to connect with students struggling for a more basic understanding. I have confidence that Yiqing will improve in the future.
- Yiqing clearly knows the material extremely well and made himself very available to students, including outside of office hours and recitation. At times, he taught at a higher level than many students were able to understand, but this is the only area I can identify for improvement.
Slides 1 - Basics: Notations, Functions (PDF)
Slides 2 - Linear Algebra; OLS Geometrics (PDF)
Slides 3 - Calculus; OLS Asymptotics (PDF)
(Slides borrow from Dustin Tingley and In Song Kim's math camp notes.)
Evaluations: 6.5/7.0 (Excerpts of Anonymous Comments)
- Yiqing is a great teacher and his explanations are very clear and straight to the point.
- Yiqing is incredibly patient with us and clearly thinks a lot about pedagogy.
- Great job! Keep up the good work.
- Yiqing is fantastic! His teaching style has evolved to become clear and engaging-- the fact that he adds in "random" comments really helps keep my interest! He did a great job expanding the slides (i.e. adding in more examples) when he saw we weren't understanding things clearly. He has had such a great evolution from Quant 1 to now, and has become a really excellent instructor. Thank you!
- Yiqing was great!
- Yiqing did an excellent job. He clearly knows the subject matter well. I would suggest that he slows down when doing the proofs on the board and make sure not to skip any steps. Other than that, thanks for a great math camp!
From my awesome students:
Positive Political Economy
My Evolving Understanding of the Field: A Cognitive Map (PDF)